Vietnam – Promoting Climate Resilient Rural Infrastructure in Northern Vietnam
|Region:||Asia - Southeast Asia|
|Location within Country:||Northern Provinces|
|Client:||Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, Government of Socialist Republic of Vietnam|
|Funding Source:||Asian Development Bank (ADB)|
|Date:||January 2013 - January 2016|
|Category:||Agriculture and Irrigation|
Narrative Description of Project:
The objective of the project in northern Vietnam is to demonstrate effective bio-engineered solutions which, where possible, provide ‘win-win’ outcomes for resilience of rural infrastructure to climate risk and opportunities for community livelihood enhancement.
The project focuses on rural irrigation, slope stability for roads, river-bank protection, and flood protection works. Lessons learned from the project will provide the basis for capacity building activities with local community members, contractors and government staff at local, provincial and national levels. The project also aims to make recommendations for the broader adoption of bio-engineered approaches as an effective solution to manage climate risk in Vietnam. The project will raise awareness of climate risks and vulnerabilities in local communities and empower them with the capability to manage risk through practical, cost effective solutions which can be implemented with local resources.
Description of Actual Services Provided in the Assignment:
– Identify civil engineering techniques applicable within the context of the selected demonstration sub-projects;
– Provide input to the preparation of a susceptibility–hazard–risk framework;
– Provide input to the design of the demonstrations;
– Assist the team leader in supervising the implementation of the works;
– Assist the team leader in documenting the results of the demonstrations from a civil engineering (i.e., structure sustainability) point of view; and
– Draft construction technical specifications.