Kenya – Olkaria-Lessos-Kisumu Transmission Line Construction Project
|Africa - East Africa
|Location within Country:
|Kenya Electricity Transmission Company Ltd., Government of the Republic of Kenya
|Japanese Yen Loan
|September 2011 - March 2019
|Energy and Power
|Detailed Engineering Design, Construction Supervision
Narrative Description of the Project:
The existing 132 kV transmission lines between Olkaria and Lessos, Lessos and Kisumu constitute parts of the transmission lines connecting Western, Central and Eastern Region of Kenya, and also international connecting lines between Uganda and Kenya. The capacity of each existing line is 77 MW and, it is projected that in 2013, the transmission lines between Olkaria and Lessos will be overloaded under the N-1 condition. Under this project, new 220 kV lines are planned for construction from Olkaria to Lessos and from Lessos to Kisumu. Additionally, a proposed 220 kV transmission lines connecting Uganda and Kenya will be completed by 2014. Once connected to this transmission line, the project will contribute to enhancing the evacuation of electricity between Kenya and Uganda for reliable and stable electricity supply in Western Region of Kenya.
Scope of the Project
The scope of the project is indicated as follows:
– Construction of 220 kV double circuit Transmission Lines between Olakaria and Lessos: 213 km
– Construction of 220 kV double circuit Transmission Lines between Lessos and Kisumu*: 77 km
– Expansion of Substation in Olkaria (220 kV-2 bays), Lessos (220 kV – 2 bays, 132 kV-2 bays), Kisumu (132 kV-2 bays)
*Transmission Lines between Lessos and Kisume will be initially operated 132 kV capacity.
Description of Actual Services Provided in the Assignment:
- Review of documentation.
- Detailed engineering design
- Construction supervision
- Commissioning at the HV line including assistance for the implementation of the environmental and social management plan and the resettlement action plan